Thursday 1 October 2015

Life Lessons From Social Media

Life Lessons From Social MediaIt's funny how often we see people presenting themselves on social media in a way that isn't necessarily the same as they present themselves in real life. A lot of social media is exaggerated (or toned down) to fit a certain mould, and often it is down right fake.

However, it is also apparent how often social media perfectly mirrors life, and demonstrates perfectly some valuable life lessons.

Here's some of those life lessons that we can learn from social media:

 
 
 
 Instagram
One size, one shape fits all – In life, sometimes we can’t see the big picture and need to concentrate on the little details.
Twitter
140 characters limit – Sometimes we just need to cut the crap and waffle and get to the point!

Facebook
People's picture perfect lives – Sometimes, what we present to the outside world isn’t what we really feel or have going on, but we don’t want the world to see the bad bits, only the good. And sometimes, all we want is someone to "like" us!
LinkedIn
LinkedIn always reminds me of that saying that is so clichéd but oh so true – It’s not what you know, it’s who you know (and who’s ass you are willing to kiss!)
Klout
Sometimes your influence just needs a boost. You can do it the long, honest way, or if you know how to manipulate the system, it’s usually readily available!
Pinterest
Being pretty helps get you noticed, but being quirky is what gets you talked about. And having something good under the pretty picture will keep you popular for a lot longer!
Stumble Upon
We often find the things that are of the most interest to us when we aren't specifically looking for them!
You Tube
It doesn't matter how funny or interesting you are, a cat falling off something will almost always be more popular than you!
 
Obviously some of these are a little tongue in cheek but I think they all have a ring of truth to them as well.
 
What do you think? Do you have any to add? Let me know in the comments :)
 
You can find me here: Twitter Bloglovin Pinterest and Instagram Please do stop by and say hi!
 
Binky Linky
Domesticated Momster
You Baby Me Mummy
The Dad Network
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Binky Linky

46 comments:

  1. How about Bloglovin? One big party under my roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! We take some things for granted but when you look closer, things are more than what it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And sometimes, all we want is someone to "like" us!" So true! No matter how old we get. And I cannot for the life of me figure out Pinterest. How the hell does someone get 20,000 followers for their boards on seashell crafts? #momsterslink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Periscope - broadcast yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Facebook and Instagram the best. I think it is the pictures! I just love them but you are right, you can hide a lot under the pictures xx #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Twitter but Facebook is still my guilty pleasure lol :) x

      Delete
  6. Love love love! Especially the Twitter analogy, there is far too much waffling going on for my liking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) When I first joined Twitter I hated the 140 character limit, now I rarely notice it!

      Delete
  7. Good points here - each social network has it's own vibe & brings a different side of you out. This is reminding me I need to sign up for Linkden...so many to do's!! #bigfatlinky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do and the ones I think i'll hate I usually end up loving :) My to do list gets longer each day rather than shorter lol x

      Delete
  8. Love this! My favourite platform is twitter as it's concise and to the point. I hate those attention seeking FB posts where all someone will write is something is like 'OMG can't believe what just happened!' or 'So annoyed!' I never comment on those! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I totally love Twitter now although at first I was a bit unsure. They drive me mad, especially when someone asks and they say they don't want to talk about it - why put it on then! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  9. I have to admit I have never heard of half those social media platforms. Epic fail! What sort of a blogger am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sort that isn't wasting half their day on social media lol :)

      Delete
  10. Great list and really good tips thanks for linking to the binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha this really made me chuckle - oh so true! If only we could all think before speaking like we do online! #KCACOLS x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked it :) That would be great wouldn't it! x

      Delete
  12. You are so right Debbie!! It is amazing what is the real truth behind all of this social media!! Thank you so much for linking up with me at #KCACOLS. I hope you join me again next Sunday! ;-) x
    http://www.amomentwithfranca.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank for hosting :) I'll be there! x

      Delete
  13. This is fab! Very creative Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked it :) Thanks for hosting! x

      Delete
  14. So true! Twitter is my favourite though! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I never thought I could get used to the 140 character limit but I rarely even notice it now! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  15. YES YOU GOT IT! Sometimes call Facebook 'fakebook' as the posts and picture people pot up can portray utter bliss when you know it isn't really!!! I actually don't know what klout is? I need to get with the times!! xxx binky linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fakebook, love it lol :) Klout is a platform that maps your social influence through the other networks. Give it a go, its nowhere near as boring as I just made it sound lol :) x

      Delete
  16. Bloody Pinterest and Instagram are my nemesis! They show people with such creative/amazing lives that are totally rocking it much more than I am. I hate them (although still spend hours on both every week). #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is my guilty pleasure, although I often see these pins and wonder how its possible to make such fab stuff from practically nothing!

      Delete
  17. what an accurate post! I've never really given much thought to what social media really means. I am always just going with the flow. Pinterest totally overwhelms me though... it's just too damn pretty! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I can pop on Pinterest for two minutes, then realise two hours have gone by!

      Delete
  18. I've used social media so much more since starting my blog - Facebook and Twitter. I'm not sure our chaos is Instgram friendly! I looked pinterest for ideas for my boys birthday cake last year and the lesson was you are s**t at decorating cakes compared to us! Don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about Pinterest, much as I love it, I do sometimes look at things, and know I'll do it that well so I don't even bother.

      Delete
  19. Haha, yes very good. :) #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha, these are all very true. Can't deny the YouTube one! Ray xx #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are spot on with all these! Although I do have to admit that I find Facebook to be the site that either someone is posting about picture perfectness or the opposite end of the spectrum where their dog died, their house caught fire, and the car took a shit all in one day...then you never hear anything until the next "bad day". I am also quite certain that Facebook needs a breathalyzer in order to even open the app...I am notorious for trying to post when a wee bit intoxicated and then reading it the next morning and thinking "WTF?" Thanks for sharing this with #momsterslink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Facebook does have a lot of "poor me" going on! The drunken status is the story of my life when I go out haha :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  22. Great post thanks for linking to the binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post, made me chuckle and reminded me of this http://jeffhester.net/2013/03/19/social-media-explained-with-donuts/

    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked it :) Just had a read of the link you left - gotta love a donut analogy!

      Delete