Wednesday 21 October 2015

Book Review: People Who Eat Darkness By Richard Lloyd Parry

Time for the review of the first of October's reading list (have a look here if you missed it!).

My review of People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry
 
Book Review: People Who Eat Darkness By Richard Lloyd Parry 

Blurb from the back cover
 
In the summer of 2000, Jane Steare received the phone call every mother dreads. Her daughter Lucie Blackman - tall, blonde and twenty-one years old - had stepped into the vastness of a Tokyo summer and disappeared forever. That winter, her dismembered remains were found buried in a desolate seaside cave.
Her disappearance was mystifying. Had Lucie been abducted by a religious cult? Who was the mysterious man she had gone to meet? What did her work as a "hostess" in the notorious Roppongi district of Tokyo really involve? And could Lucie's fate be linked to the disappearance of another girl some ten years earlier?
Over the course of a decade, Richard Lloyd Parry has travelled to four continents to interview those caught up in the story and been given unprecedented access to Lucie's bitterly divided family to reveal the astonishing truth about Lucie and her fate.
 
My thoughts on the book
 
This book gives a fantastic insight to the life of a foreigner in Tokyo. The lifestyle, the work etc all form an integral part of Lucie's story and I think the author documents the lifestyle very well.
From the point of Lucie's disappearance to the point of the trial (and a little beyond) the information is well presented, clear and easy to follow. The author has obviously done a lot of research and it shows. He comes across as someone who knows what they are talking about, and makes a clear distinction between fact and opinion.
 
Conclusion and rating
 
Very well written and researched, this is an informative, but interesting read. It is a little frustrating that some questions remain unanswered, but that isn't the author's fault, the questions remained unanswered by the police or any other authority. 4/5
 
Have you read this book? What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
 
You can find me here: Twitter Bloglovin Pinterest and Instagram Please do stop by and say hi! 
 
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

19 comments:

  1. I've never read or heard this book and it's seem to be interesting to read. I would definitely add this on wishlist. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard if this book think this is one to look out for next time I'm on the look out for a new readcas it sounds like the type of books I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good read, a good insight into Japanese culture as well as a fab account of the events surrounding the murder!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It'll be well worth it if you do :)

      Delete
    2. Defo I have it written down and I'm going to try find it later

      Delete
  4. This book sounds really interesting, my friend loves Japan so maybe a Christmas present. Although the thought of anything happening to my children is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good insight into the culture, but yeah that must be the worst thing imaginable!

      Delete
  5. I like stories which answer all the questions. I like to get it in the end and know everything so maybe not knowing everything would be frustrating for me too.

    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that, I like everything tied up in a neat little bow at the end, but the true ones rarely end that way x

      Delete
  6. I like that it's well written & clear. It sounds like a really intriguing story line. It'd be fun to get a feeling for the lifestyle in Tokyo, that's supposed to be an amazing city to visit! Lovely review Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had me hooked from the very start! I would love to visit Tokyo some day, it seems such a vibrant, alive place. Thank you :) x

      Delete
  7. Tokyo fascinates me, so I'd love to read a book set there. And it sounds like an interesting read. I might give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a really good book, really well written and informative :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds like an interesting book. I like books that teach you things about culture as well as having a story to tell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :) You will love this one then, it really does do both!

      Delete
  9. Lovely review, I'm not sure this is a genre I personally would normally choose to read but you may have twisted my arm a little. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I realise this genre isn't for everyone, but if you wanted to give it a go, this one is a good start point as there's more in it than just the crime itself :) x

      Delete