Tuesday 6 October 2015

Instagram Review

Instagram ReviewInstagram is one of those sites that everyone is always talking about to the point that it feels like not having an IG account is social suicide.

Still, I managed to resist until recently.

It's honestly not a social network I thought I would be for me. I'm not really into photography. Obviously I take some photos for my blog, but other than that I rarely do.

I'm definitely not a selfie queen. In my whole life I have taken the grand total of one selfie. That was only because a blog I was guest posting on required a photo of the writer and there was no else around to take a picture.

I hate having my photo taken altogether, and I am yet to see a photo of myself I like. I am that person who always gets caught blinking, or moving or looking a bit demented!

Aside from that, I quite like the idea of having photographic memories, I just always kind of forget to take the photos. I have seen me go on holiday and come back and I haven't had the camera out of my bag - I carry it around but just never think to use it.

I like the idea of seeing other people's pictures, but before blogging, when it would have just been an account for personal use, it seemed pointless because everyone I know who has IG has it set up to post their photos from IG onto Facebook anyway.

Anyway, since starting blogging, every blogger I've spoke to has been shocked when I say I don't have an IG account. After some debate I finally bit the bullet and joined.

Things I like:
1. Although I'm not into taking pictures, I do enjoy looking at other people's (nosey much!)
2. If used correctly, it can really show what your brand/blog is all about. I don't use it correctly! It's something I'm working on, and recently I have read a fab series about this by Nikki at The View From In Here. Check it out, it really is a fantastic IG guide.

Things I don't like:
1. I hate the fact everything has to be done on my phone. A lot of the images I want on there are ones I have designed on my laptop - its such a mess about sending them to my phone to post instead of doing it direct.
2. Not being able to add clickable links to each photo. I have the main blog link in my bio, but who actually goes and clicks on it? If it's there, people are much more likely to click through.

Top tip for bloggers:
If your IG account is your personal one, I understand why you might have it private. If it's your blog account, don't do that. You are more likely to get followers if your account isn't private. Partly because people can see some examples of your photos and get a sense of whether your account is of interest to them. Mainly though, if your account is private, people will assume you don't want strangers following you. If I come across a private account, I only request to follow them if its someone I have already connected with on their blog/other social media. I find it quite unwelcoming.

Love it or hate it?
As a fun network, I love it. I enjoy taking a little glimpse into other people's lives. As a blog promotion, I don't think it's all that great though to be honest. Having said that, I haven't focused much attention on it. I think I might up my game a bit, try to post more regularly and see how it goes!

What do you think? Are you an IG lover or hater? Let me know in the comments and if you are on IG, feel free to leave your links in the comments and follow each other :)

You can find me here: Twitter Bloglovin Pinterest and Instagram Please do stop by and say hi!
Mama-andmore
Super Busy Mum
Let's Talk Mommy
Run Jump Scrap!
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
You Baby Me Mummy

28 comments:

  1. I enjoy instagram I find it fun but am not really using it to promote my blog in the way I could. I simply don't have the time right now but maybe in the future I'll improve in that area!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy instagram I find it fun but am not really using it to promote my blog in the way I could. I simply don't have the time right now but maybe in the future I'll improve in that area!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a great site just for having fun on when you don't need to plan a strategy etc :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE being nosey on Instagram. Unfortunately my pics don't look half as interesting as the rest of the worlds, I really need to work on getting a life so I can share interesting photos ;-)
    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel exactly the same way. There's only so many times you can post pictures of your laptop because that's what you're doing!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I discovered Instagram quite late but I am now a convert! I´ve worked as a model for ten years so I´m certainly not camera shy, but it did take me a long while to get the hang of all the hashtags. The only thing I will say is that it can become a bit addictive and you do have to take everyone elses fabulous IG lives with a pinch of salt! #Bestandworst
    www.rockingmummysworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see it becoming addictive! And yes, people only tend to share the good pics and not the twenty bad shots it took to get them!

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about only doing IG on phone, I hate IG for that reason... but apart from that, IG is good if I'm being nosey at other people's photos, lol. Great review! #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying isn't it! I'm glad I'm not the only nosey one lol, thanks :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not a huge fan of Instagram either but thanks to Nikki from View from in here, I am learning. I love her tips but it is still a pain in the ass for me sometimes because I use it for both personal and blogging. I don't like that I can't link my photos to my blog with instagram. I would like it a lot more if I could. While I'm not camera shy, I don't often get the opportunity to get into pictures. I have to rely on selfies and like you, I don't like taking those unless I have to. Love your review and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It can be fun but I don't know, I haven't enjoyed myself with it so far. I'm just not getting it, I guess. LOL! Visiting from #themadmidweekbloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to find someone else a bit on the fence about it, everyone seems to love it, and while I sort of do, it's definitely not my favourite social network. Yes, if it let you add a clickable link to the posts I think it would be much better :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for linking this post up to #AllAboutYou! I am an IGaddict, there, I've said it. I think that it may drive traffic to your blog depending on how it's used, and for blogs or websites where it's very visual - style bloggers or brands featuring new products I imagine it works very well. I have to confess though that I post far more on my yoga account (@yogawithzaz) than my blog/personal account @mama_andmore but I'm trying to do more on the blog page! Totally get your negative points too, but it's just a different beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now you mention it, I imagine IG is great for driving traffic for such as OOTD posts. I don't think I use it properly to drive traffic, I don't have a strategy or any real branding, but it is something I intend to work on :)

      Delete
  8. IG is all the rage all right. I had a personal account which I never used so I converted it to my blog account which I use regularly. I really enjoy it now actually! I have read a lot of posts about having a theme & sticking with that - which is a bit boring to me. My theme is stuff I like lol #brilliantblogposts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My IG is a bit of everything, but then again so is my blog so I it sort of is branding just not in the conventional sense lol :) x

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the shout out, you know how I feel about IG! LOL P.S. I do a lot of my images on the computer, send it to myself in an email. I open the email on my phone and then download the image. The image is now in my IG account. Simple. I use the same image that I edit for my blog post on my IG account. Killing 2 birds with one stone. Hope that helps you! And thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've only added images from photos I've taken but I will try that though because most of my blog images are graphics rather than photos. Thanks :)

      Delete
  10. It's great for a nosey lol! I love Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Though we have an Instagram account, we're not really utilizing it very well. I think it's something that we definitely have to explore more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I am with mine - its there, but not used as well as it could be!

      Delete
  12. I really like it, I have found some fab little businesses via Instagram which is great, like you say if used properly!Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst and thanks for the support Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, always good to find some of the smaller businesses :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  13. I struggle with IG in that I want it to reflect my real life and not be to considered, but then that is probably not the best thing for my brand. Great post Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tricky isn't it - if its too branded it can become impersonal and if its too personal you lose your branding! Thank you and thanks for hosting :) x

      Delete
  14. Instagram is my top social media go to place! I just love it. Thanks so much for linking up! #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its probably third for me :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  15. I am on the absolutely obsessed side of instgram I love it completely. But I am with you I hate that I can't put photos on my laptop on there as most are taken with dslr so I am always having to email them save to my phone and transfer which is annoying. I share my outfits but usually cut my head off as it's more fashion posts than selfies no one needs to see my face every day haahha Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me.. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't see their logic in not letting users put pics on from the laptops. I know they have this thing about being a mobile app but everyone would still use the app! Lol I'm quite intrigued to see your headless fashion range :) Thanks for hosting!

      Delete