Monday 5 October 2015

Book Review: Magnus Chase And The Sword Of Summer By Rick Riordan

A while back, I asked for some new YA recommendations. One of them (from The Mama from Poop Rainbows) was for the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I added it to my reading wish list, but before I got around to acquiring it, I was approached to review the new Rick Riordan book! I was very excited about this - it must be fate!

My review of Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
 
Book Review: Magnus Chase And The Sword Of Summer By Rick Riordan
 
 
Blurb from the back cover
 
The first book in the incredible new series from the author of Percy Jackson, the Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus.
My name is Magnus Chase. I'm orphaned and living rough on the streets of Boston. And things are about to get much worse.
My day started out normally enough. I was sleeping under a bridge when some guy kicked me awake and said, 'They're after you.' Next thing I know, I'm reunited with my obnoxious uncle, who casually informs me that my long-lost father is a Norse god.
Nothing normal about that. And it turns out the gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Apparently, if I can't find the sword my father lost two thousand years ago, there will be doom. Doomsday, to be precise.
A fire giant attacking the city?
Immortal warriors hacking each other to pieces?
Unkillable wolves with glowing eyes?
It's all coming up.
But first I'm going to die. This is the story of how my life goes downhill from there...

My thoughts on the book
 
I think I have just found my new favourite YA author! Magnus Chase is a character everyone will love. He is a normal teenager who finds himself in this bizarre situation. I love the way Magnus is quite sarcastic and the way he adapts quickly and just kind of accepts everything that happens around him (and that is a lot of stuff!). I don't want to spoil the story, but the book follows the story of Magnus Chase, a teenager who finds out his father was actually a Norse god. Upon being killed, he finds himself in Valhalla and is thrown into the midst of Odin's army as the gods prepare for war.
Magnus goes on a quest to find the Sword of Summer, and is joined by some fellow misfits in his travels.
All the characters are well written and stay in character.
 
Conclusion and rating
 
This book grabbed me almost immediately and I'm still waiting for it to let go, two days after I finished it. At times witty, and at times utterly touching, this is the story of honour, bravery and friendship. I can't wait for the next one! 5/5
 
Available now on Amazon. Click here for more information and to buy!
 
Book Review: Magnus Chase And The Sword Of Summer By Rick Riordan
Picture courtesy of Amazon
 
Still not convinced? Watch the video trailer below to see Magnus Chase's story brought to life!
 

 

 
You can find me here: Twitter Bloglovin Pinterest and Instagram Please do stop by and say hi!
 
I was gifted this book in return for my review, but all opinions are my own. As an avid reader, I would never recommend a book I didn't really enjoy
The Blog Centre Showcase Tuesday
Super Busy Mum
Let's Talk Mommy
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking with #ShowcaseTuesday - this is the first I have heard of YA Fiction a bit ou the loop 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love YA fiction :) Thank you and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  2. I love your book reviews and always catching myself adding them to my reading list. Great review hun. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me. I appreciate the linky loyalty and always look forward to seeing you again at SWM. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them :) Sorry for adding to your list lol! You're welcome, I really enjoy #sharewithme, thanks for hosting :)

      Delete