Yesterday I finally tried it, and it is fantastic!
Peek is a website (find it here http://peek.usertesting.com/) that allows you to really get a feel for how visitors to your blog or website use your site. It's really simple. You enter your url and your email address and within a couple of hours, you get mailed a video.
The video is a real time video of a real person viewing your site. You get to see the screen of their computer as they do, where they click etc. It has also a commentary by them on areas such as what they think the website they are viewing is all about, what they like, what they don't like and their general opinions. You can do up to 3 peeks a month for free. If you haven't tried it, I would highly recommend it.
My Peek - The Good
* The lady viewing my blog instantly recognised it as a blog.
* She liked my "about me" page because she said she likes to have a feel for the person she is reading about, something I've never really considered.
* She said I sound open and honest in what I write which is fantastic as that is pretty much the whole concept of my blog!
* She said if she had longer than five minutes to spend on the site (that's the approx. length of the peek video) there was some posts which caught her eye and she would like to read!
My Peek - The Bad
* She thought my font was too plain. While I do try to take on board any constructive criticism, this is one area I just can't change - I can't stand fussy fonts, so I would never subject my readers to them!
* She said my images didn't really convey what the posts where about. In hindsight I agree on that, and it is something I will be working on.
* She wanted more images. Again this is something I will work on. For more serious posts, I think a lot of images can distract from the meaning behind the post, but on some of the more light hearted posts, I will try and incorporate this.
My Peek - The Ugly!
This is a bit of a strange one. The lady really didn't like my background theme picture. She said that's because it's too abstract. I purposely chose the theme I did because it looked abstract and I thought that perfectly represented the random nature of the blog, so I'm not sure what to read into that one really!
To the Peek lady - If you did decide to come back and read those posts that caught your eye, and are now reading this, I would like to say thank you for some really useful insights!
Have you tried Peek? Did you love it? Hate it? Did you get anything useful from your video?
Follow me on Twitter @randommusings29, and feel free to comment :)