Thursday 28 May 2015

Desert Island Favourites - Books


I thought I would finish my Desert Island Favourites mini series with the five books I would take to a desert island, as that's the perfect lead in to June's theme. I feel these books should be things like Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Chaucer, Bronte etc, but I am going to be honest, and tell you the ones I would actually take because I enjoy reading them, not ones I think I should be seen to read.
The books I would take have to be books I can happily read over and over again. So, on that note, the 5 books I would take are:

1. Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. This book is one of my all time favourites. I've read it more times than I can remember and every time I come away with something I had previously missed!
2. Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin. I remember being about 11 when I first read this, and I was truly horrified. I think it was the first adult horror book I ever read, and it certainly got me hooked on the genre.
3. The Pact by Jodi Picoult. This is one of those books that stay with you long after you put it down. I talk a little more about it here: http://myrandommusings.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/j-is-for-jodi-picoult.html
4.The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I know a trilogy is maybe cheating a little, but I love this series and I couldn't take one without the others!
5. The Shining by Stephen King. This is the closest I can come to having a classic on my list, and many people will argue the point of the book being a classic. To me it is and always will be. I love Stephen King and this is a fine example of him doing what he does best.

Which books would you take?

Follow me on Twitter @randommusings29 and feel free to comment :)
You Baby Me Mummy
Summer Days

16 comments:

  1. Oh this is a tough question...

    1. The House of Breath by William Goyen. His writing is very stream of consciousness and I've read this book about 30 times or more.

    2. All of the Ender's Game books by Orson Scott Card -- these are my all time favorite sci-fi books and I could read them over and over again

    3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte -- it is another favorite that I could read over and over again.

    4. The Shinning by Stephen King (or any of his books really) -- I like his kind of scary!

    5. Veronica Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho -- I've read this three times now and each time I discover something new. Coelho's writing is just so enchanting, regardless of the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choices, I'll have to check some of these out. I really like the sound of The House Of Breath, I love stream of consciousness. I like the sound of Veronica Decides To Die as well, based solely on the title! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Off the top of my head I can't think of just 5 - I love books so much but just had to say: YES TO STEPHEN KING!! He is my favorite author of all time. One book I would definitely have on my list is The Stand. Have you read Revival? Ahhh I just love him, my one thing I could be described as being a fan girl over, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Stand, I'm like you I love them all. I haven't read Revival yet which is weird for me normally I have them read within days of their release! I will get around to it though!

      Delete
    2. It's SO good, I loved it. I actually bought a copy in hardback and don't usually do that because I just prefer paperback books but I had to have it!

      Delete
    3. I prefer paperbacks too, they are just so much easier to hold! I'm going to have to track this down now though, even if it has to be hard back!

      Delete
    4. I'm thinking it may be out in paperback now, I bought it back in.....oh gosh, I think back in Novemberish time?

      Delete
    5. Great, even better excuse to buy it then :)

      Delete
    6. Hehe, yes, do it do it do it!

      Delete
    7. Oh go on then, you've twisted my arm ;)

      Delete
  3. What a great post idea, I will look up some of your recommendations as I need more on my wishlist. Hunger Games is totally awesome!! I absolutely love reading but it went down hill after little man was born, until I found audiobooks and now I get to "listen" to books all through the day - when I am walking, eating, cleaning, showering and even at work if I am doing a bit of work not requiring my brain. So now I get through like 3-4 books a month!! Picking my faves is sooooo hard! Here are a few:
    1. Voice of the Heart by Barbara Taylor Bradford
    2. Tara Road by Maeve Binchy
    3. The other side of the story - by Marian Keyes
    4. The Treatment by Mo Hayder
    5. The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
    6. Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella (ooops that's 6!)
    Kat x #TheList

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled narrowing it down, there could easily have been 50! I Sophie Kinsella! I've read Poppet by Mo Hayder and I really enjoyed it, I didn't know there was more so will be looking for The Treatment! Audio books are fab if you don't have the time to read. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea for a post! I would seriously struggle to narrow it down to five. Funnily enough I was actually thinking of The Stand before I read the comments! Definitely a Mark Helprin book, either Winter's Tale or A Soldier of the Great War, they're both epic books, I could read them again and again.Ian McEwen, Saturday, tough to pick a favourite of his, but I do love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard isn't it? I didn't realise how hard until I tried it. I haven't tried Mark Helprin or Ian McEwen, I will have to look them up :)

      Delete
  5. oh gosh, just 5? would a full kindle count as 1 ;)? I would have to say anything by Stephen King or Richard Laymon. Thans for linking up with #summerdays x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard isn't it! I love Stephen King and Richard Laymon. I'm definitely liking the idea of a Kindle counting as one! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete