Friday 1 May 2015

H Is For Harry Potter


Day 8 of my A to Z Challenge. H is for Harry Potter.

If you don't know how this works, I've posted the link back to the rules of the challenge at the end of this, along with a link to yesterday's post. If you want to read my full alphabet, just keep following the links. Each day has a link back to yesterday's post.


I couldn’t do the letter H without it being Harry Potter - simply because I love it! I was a little late to the party. I was never part of the crowd that queued up at midnight for the next book, or had to see the movie on the first day of its release.

In fact, I had never watched any of the movies, and one day I decided that that many people couldn’t be wrong so I went out and bought the DVD box set. That’s how late I was - not just fashionably late, but horrifically late.

Anyway, over the course of a couple of days, I watched them all.
I must admit to not being a massive fan of The Philosopher's Stone and The Chamber Of Secrets. I think maybe because Harry and Co are so young, they truly do feel like children’s films. I tend to skip those two when I re-watch them all, which is still a regular thing for me! 
By the end of The Prisoner Of Azkaban though, I was hooked. I got so into them. I cried more times than I can remember (not just the first time I watched them either). And I'm not someone who cries at movies generally.
I would say *spoiler alert* but I'm pretty sure everyone knows how they go by now. I cried when Dumbledore died, even more so when Dobby died (why would J K Rowling be that mean?), when Hermione wiped herself from her parents memory, when Ron left, when Harry watched Snape's memories of his mother and found out the whole truth, when Harry sacrificed himself (I cried so hard the first time at this, I totally missed the point that he wasn't dead, so when he miraculously "came back to life" I had to skip back and see what I'd missed).
And of course, when Sirius Black died. He isn't just part of the list, he gets his own section, because I still don't think I'm over this. Who is? I was an emotional wreck here. It's not just the fact he was arguably the best supporting character, it's the fact everyone Harry loves seems to die.
The flash to the future at the end was nice, they all lived happily ever after, but let's face it, in truth, they all would have been so messed up that none of them would have been happy.Harry would have turned to drink and died alone, scared to love anyone in case they became touched by the curse. Ron would have had serious self esteem issues, because in his mind he could never live up to the chosen one, and would always wonder why Hermione chose him. Hermione would secretly resent Ron, because deep down, she would know she made the wrong choice - it should have been Harry.

I then decided to give the books a whirl, and that’s where I seem to disagree with the rest of the world. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed them. They were well written and engaging. But (there’s always a but isn’t there?) I preferred the movies. There, I said it. Shoot me now!
The books didn't seem to hit that emotional chord with me in the way the movies had. Not even a lump in my throat, let alone tears.

It’s very rare for me to feel that way. Normally I prefer the book. I think it might be because I watched the movies first, so where the books and movies differed, I felt the movies were the “original” when usually it’s the other way around for me.

What do you think? Am I terrible human being for preferring the movies to the books? Anyone want to confess to feeling the same way?

Follow me on Twitter @myrandommusings29 and feel free to comment J


Link to G is for Getting Motivated:

Binky Linky

14 comments:

  1. Prisoner of Azkaban is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one, but I think my favourite would be The Goblet Of Fire

      Delete
  2. I've never really been into Harry Potter so can't relate, but it's great to see your passion for it! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Life would be boring if we all liked the same stuff! Thank you for hosting :)

      Delete
  3. Having never understood the appeal of Harry Potter difficult to relate but it's oblivious you love it thanks for linking up to the Binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it! Thanks for your comment and for hosting :)

      Delete
  4. I love Harry Potter, it's just all so magical. I can't wait to visit Harry Potter World. Prisoner of Azkaban is my fave. I am just waiting for Boo to be old enough so I can read them all to her as a bedtime story! Exciting times!!! I even have a copy of the first Harry Potter in Latin as I did Latin at school hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous - would love to go to Harry Potter World! She is going to love them I bet you can't wait. My favourite one is Goblet of Fire. Latin! Wow that's hardcore lol. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. Even I started my journey in a similar way.. Watched the movies before I read the books.
    Though, I must disagree. The magic that JKR created in the books cannot be rivaled by any special effect director.. Hats off to her sheer brilliance!

    Fellow #AtoZChallenge Blogger,
    Mithila @Fabulus1710

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really surprised I feel the way I do because generally I always prefer the books to the movies. I agree though that JKR is one hell of a writer!

      Delete
  6. Prisoner of Azkaban is definitely my favorite of the books...I'm not sure which of the movies I favor. I can totally understand your liking the movies better. I think that's bound to happen when you watch the movies first. I purposely put off watching any movies until I've read their book counterparts because I hate to have preconceived notions of what the characters look like. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I like to decide how they look in my head before I see the actors. By the time I got around to Harry Potter though I would have had to live on Mars to not see Daniel Radcliffe when I read the books. To be fair though I think he made a fab Harry :)

      Delete
  7. I found The Deathly Hallows extreamly emotional, the film was good, but didn't quite have thw kick of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I connected emotionally more with the movie than the book (by that I mean bawled my eyes out lol). But I did prefer the ending in the book!

      Delete