Often people ask why bloggers blog. Well why do we? I can't speak for everyone, but here are five of the reasons I blog:
1. Blogging is like free therapy - you can get anything and everything off your chest, you can write about something that has left you broken, sad and you might find the writing process helps some.
2. Blogging is a fantastic way to share your ideas and opinions with the world! - I love having this little space to talk about my thoughts and opinions on anything and everything, and to share the things that make me happy, the things that make angry and the things I love!
3. I just love it - I originally started my blog to help me find my voice as a writer. Perhaps this is the wrong reason for starting a blog (are there any wrong reasons?), but I fell in love with blogging and I now see it as so much more than a stepping stone. Blogging itself has become the end goal. I still very much want to write a novel, but I still want to blog too. I also learned the two are very different in terms of voice. On here, what you see is what you get - I write in my own voice and I stay honest and true to myself. When writing fiction, I write in a character's voice, and that character may well have very different thoughts than I would have!
4. I love hitting milestones and goals - I guess you could say I'm a little competitive that way. I don't try to compete with other bloggers, not only is that pointless, but I believe as bloggers, we should be helping each other, not trying to outdo each other.
I love the element of competing with myself for want of a better term. I like setting goals for myself and achieving them, and my blog allows me to do that. I'm also a bit of a stats geek (I didn't know that about myself until I started blogging), and although I don't let myself get too hung up on stats, I still enjoy looking at them and comparing them month on month.
5. I love the community feel - Prior to starting my blog, I imagined bloggers to be very competitive with one another, and I thought there would be a lot of back stabbing. I couldn't have been more wrong! The blogging community is amazing - everyone is so friendly and welcomes new comers with open arms, often giving help and advice where needed. I have made a lot of new friends through blogging, and stupid as it sounds, I feel like they get me on levels my IRL friends don't.
Are you a blogger? What do you love about it? Let me know inn the comments :)