What does true love mean to me? I think true love is hard to define as one single thing, so I have compiled a list of all the things true love means to me:
* Understanding each other
* Mutual respect
* Amazing sex
* Goosebumps and butterflies
* Knowing someone is always in your corner
* Growing old together
* Putting that person before yourself
* Being yourself with no fear of rejection or judgement
* Accepting someone exactly as they are and not trying to change them
* Feeling empty when they are not around
* Looking to the future and always seeing them by your side
* Wondering how you ever felt whole before you met them
* Giving someone the power to break your heart, and hoping they won't
* Being able to tell someone anything
The list is in particular order, and is by no means exhaustive, but those are what come to my mind when I think about true love.
I think true love is when the first flush of excitement and newness wears away. The person is now a constant in your life. The best behaviour mode has slipped, you've seen each other at your best and at your worst and you still want to be with each other.
You feel like that person is your best friend, your soul mate, someone you can't imagine living without.
You would walk through fire for them, move the world for them.
When they touch you, you feel alive.
When they aren't around, you feel like a part of you is missing. They are truly your other half - the yin to your yang, the cheese to your pickle, the gin to your tonic.
They make you laugh, cry, and want to dance for joy.
Even at their worst, you know you wouldn't be without them, and at their best you feel like the luckiest person in the world to have them in your life.
You would never let them go, and together, you can beat any odds.
And I can't resist sharing one of my favourite quotes. Although jokey, I think it says a lot about accepting people when they are at their worst as well as their best, and that's what loving someone is really all about.
Check back tomorrow and Sunday for the "What true love means to me, bloggers edition" where other bloggers (and some non-bloggers) have shared their thoughts on what true love means to them!
What do you think? Let me know in the comments :)