Wednesday 16 September 2015

Book Review: Toys by James Patterson

Time for the review of my second book from September's reading list. If you missed the list, you can have a look here. 

My review of Toys by James Patterson
 
Book Review: Toys by James Patterson
 
Blurb from the back cover
 
A battle for the world is set into unstoppable motion and Hays Baker is the only one who can save it.
Hays Baker and his wife Lizbeth possess super-human strength, extraordinary intelligence, stunning looks and two beautiful children. Of course they do - they're elites, endowed at birth with the very best that the world can offer. The only problem in their perfect world: humans.
The top operative for the Agency of Change, Hays has just won the fiercest battle of his career. He has been praised by the President, and is a national hero. But before he can savour his triumph, he receives an unbelievable shock that overturns everything he thought was true. Suddenly, Hays is on the other side of the gun, forced to leave his perfect family and fight for his life.
Now a hunted fugitive, Hays is thrown into an existence he never dreamed possible - fighting to save humans from extinction.
 
My thoughts on the book
 
This certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I love James Patterson books, and as such, I didn't bother to read the back cover. This is not like any other James Patterson book I have read. It is a totally different genre to his usual books.
It felt like a YA book, with very similar theming to a lot of the YA books I have read.
I really struggled with it at first, and after about three chapters, I was about ready to give up on it. I decided to give it one last shot. I'm glad I did, because that's when it started to get interesting.
Overall, I ended up quote enjoying it, although I feel the beginning dragged quite a lot.
 
Conclusion and rating
 
It wasn't too bad once it got going. Be prepared for the first part to be a bit boring, but it does get better. While I quite enjoyed it, if you are a fan of the James Patterson crimes books, this is totally different, and doesn't feel like a James Patterson book at all. If this is your first James Patterson book, please don't let it put you off, his crime books really are fantastic! 
Not bad! 3/5
 
Have you read this book? What do you think? Let me know in the comments!
 
You can find me here: Twitter Bloglovin Pinterest and Instagram Please do stop by and say hi!



2 comments:

  1. Please tell me where you get time to read books and still blog lol. I love James Patterson as well...I will have to add this one to the long list I am creating for when I retire ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession time - I read at work when its quiet lol :) I think that's going to be a long way in the future!

      Delete