Tuesday 9 June 2015

My Non-Optional Screen Ban!


Fictional Fun logoI've heard of people doing screen bans by choice as some sort of social experiment. I get the concept, but I don't think I would ever willingly impose one on myself!
In theory, it would be nice to go back to a simpler time, connect with people more in real life, and all the other things people hope to get out of these experiences.
In reality though, unless everyone in your social circle, everyone you work with and anyone you want to do any sort of business with also do one at the same time, it's not going to work. The world still keeps turning, even if we choose not to turn with it.
The Earth
You can imagine my horror then when I learned that we are no longer allowed to have our phones out behind the bar (I work in a pub). Now obviously, when it's busy I understand completely. However, some days I work 12 hours shifts and of those 12 hours, there's perhaps 4 or 5 of them over the course of the day where I don't actually have anyone in!
The bar is only small and is all fully cleaned down within 2-3 hours tops. That leaves a lot of time to kill!

I am one of those people who's phone is like a third limb, it's always within an inch or so of me (I do put it away when I'm with people on days/nights out etc).
Mobile phone
I want my phone - pen and paper
Now people think I'm ignoring them if they call or text me, although after 10 days of it, I think they are starting to realise I have to ignore them when I'm at work, but 12 hours is a long time to wait for a response to a text!
Music turntableI can cope with this though, as the people I mostly talk to daily know what's happening. I can also cope with the social media withdrawal (just!).
What is driving me completely mad though is all the other bits I use my phone for. Listening to music, and making notes of new post ideas, shopping lists, to do lists, things I have to remember, phone numbers, pretty much everything I need to do or remember!
I now have to listen to whatever rubbish is on the radio! And I've totally lost count of the times I've reached for my phone to note something and remembered I can't! I now carry a pad of paper and pen around to jot things down (it feels so old school!). Plus an A4 pad is much less convenient to lug around than my phone. I tried post its but I kept losing them. I've tried a diary but there's never enough space! Not to mention all the poor trees I am now single handily killing on a daily basis! I feel like my human rights have been violated! Ok that's an exaggeration, but it is driving me mental. Like really mental!
Woman tearing her hair out
There is no way I can admit this at work though because I refuse to give them the satisfaction of thinking their stupid rules are bothering me so I thought I would have a vent here.
I know a lot of you are probably eye rolling because most people can't sit using their phones at work. If this had always been the rule, it probably wouldn't have bothered me either, but I've worked there nearly 11 years now and for this to suddenly be dropped in is annoying. 

I don't want to end this post on a negative note, and I have found one positive to come out of this. I am going to use all that extra time I would normally fill with social media to actually start writing the novel I keep threatening to start. Old school. On actual paper. Wish me luck!
Girl with book
Would this drive you mad or do you think you could do a screen ban?

Follow me on Twitter @randommusings29 and feel free to comment :)
Modern Dad Pages
My Random Musings
The Dad Network
Mummascribbles
Mama-andmore
Super Busy Mum
Let's Talk Mommy
Mami 2 Five

31 comments:

  1. I think I can for a day or two. But you know, I work online so I think that's how long I can go. :P

    For non work related stuff, I did went 40days without social media and it was sooo hard! I guess a week would do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 days?! Wow, I don't think I'd even last a week!

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. It would definitely be hard for me! But it is strange to see how times have changed with tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to think that children now will never remember a time without mobile phones and social media! I remember growing up without either and when mobiles first came out thinking I would never want one! Those words still come back to haunt me lol. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Lol it would drive me crazy too no way could I dona screen ban lol great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never do one by choice! Thank for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely hate having people staring at their phones' screens and nodding (clearly faking paying attention) when I'm talking to them. Regardless, I don't support screen bans either ... people should be taught manners rather than forced to put their phones away! :)
    Good luck with the novel! I find writing on paper (old school as you said) is much more satisfying than on a word document or similar something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I don't use my phone when people are talking to me, that's just rude!
      Thank you, I'm hoping I feel the same :)

      Delete
  5. I often wonder if I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a phone permanently screwed to their ear or thumbs constantly tapping out texts. My phone isn't the be-all and end-all for me, in fact it's so basic it doesn't even have a camera, and if necessary I could quite happily manage without it at work - I'm usually too busy to be bothered with it anyway. Guess that must make me the exception to the rule?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my boss would LOVE you lol. I can live with it on the short shifts but some days I'm there for 12 or 13 hours and that's a long time to be out of contact - well it is for me! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  6. I often wonder if I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a phone permanently screwed to their ear or thumbs constantly tapping out texts. My phone isn't the be-all and end-all for me, in fact it's so basic it doesn't even have a camera, and if necessary I could quite happily manage without it at work - I'm usually too busy to be bothered with it anyway. Guess that must make me the exception to the rule?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did bar work for years during Uni and teacher training. An empty car really makes time drag. I used to go a lot of puzzles. In my free time at work I'm often tapping away online and would definitely struggle if they banned it. Grab a puzzle, keep your marbles. Take a Break puzzles make me feel dead clever ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good idea! I'm going to have to do something or I'll be a twitching wreck lol :)

      Delete
  8. I can't go 5 minutes without my phone....let alone 12 hours! My husband works in the mining industry and is not supposed to have his phone either. They let them bring them but they are supposed to be shut off. He's not very good at following rules about that. He only turns it on during his breaks though. Thanks for hosting another great #AnythingGoes Linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's driving me crazy - everyone keeps thinking I'm ignoring them! I don't blame him it's all good if he's found a way of getting away with it :) You're welcome, thanks for linking up!

      Delete
  9. Ya, phones are addicting - I go into Twitter withdrawal if I'm away for too long lol But if you can't have your phone out at work, then people just have to get used to that and move on! Thanks for hosting #anythinggoes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get used to it but it's so hard. I used to think it wouldn't bother me but it really does! You're welcome and thanks for linking up :) x

      Delete
  10. I don't think I could ban myself from the screen, I'm such an addict haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't do it by choice, that's for sure :)

      Delete
  11. Frustrating for you...however there is a silver lining and your novel may be so brilliant you'll be glad the rule was out in place ha ha!

    have a fab week- Angela from www.daysinbed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right! It's a good way of looking at it instead of being annoyed all the time lol.
      Thank you, you too :)

      Delete
  12. I am not so into phones but I am so into my laptop. Getting it away from me that long for a day would be bad but days????

    But you are so good in using your free time to good use. Good luck with the novel =)

    #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would struggle to go a day without my laptop too!
      Thank you and thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. That seems an odd rule change to make so suddenly, especially when you're not always busy. I suppose it's time to invest in a notebook and some good books. How would they feel about a Kindle or other eReader?

    Thanks for linking with #TwinklyTuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think someone's on a bit of a power trip myself! I even use my phone as a Kindle lol! I do take books in and yes now a notebook too. Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  14. Good luck with your novel. I need to finish my second one but social media and blogging kinda of made it take a back seat. I am awful at switching off but I am trying to be better this summer and enjoy life more. I find I get too wrapped up online and not what's right in front of me. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I know what you mean. Every time I finish a blogging to-do list I realise there's still loads more I could do! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  15. I love nothing more than date nights with my wife when we ban phones. Wish we could live without them! Thanks for linking up #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good - I'm happy enough to give up my phone on a night out or something where I'm not bored . It's scary sometimes how reliant on them we've all become. Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  16. Actually I think I would love to have all that free time with no other distractions! I get so sucked in to googling every random query my brain comes up with or social media that having hours at a time to finish writing my own book sounds like bliss! Good luck with it and thanks for linking up with #SundayStars x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never thought of it that way. It doesn't sound like such a bad thing if you look at it your way :) Thank you, and thanks for hosting!

      Delete