Sunday 8 March 2015

Marks And Spencers: Supermarket Own Brand? 8th March 2015

I took my Nana shopping the other day, and of course she insisted on going to Marks and Spencers. I tried to talk her out of it, but she's very set in her ways.
It was full of pensioners, hardly anyone in there younger than at a guess 70ish, except perhaps people like me with their Nanas, Grandads etc. It bothers me a little to see these pensioners getting ripped off everyday.
I remember even when I was a child you went to M&S for special things and treats because it was genuinely better. I don't think this is the case anymore, but I think, like my Nana, many older people are set in their ways and shop at M&S out of habit as much as anything else.
Every time I see their advert where that woman sort of purrs "this is not just food, this is M&S food," I want her to be honest and say "this is not just food, this is over priced supermarket own brand food." Because, let's be honest, that's exactly what it is these days.
I can't decide whether M&S standards have dropped dramatically, or other supermarket own brands have improved dramatically. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say its probably a little of both.
Feel free to comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment