Friday 19 June 2015

When The Story Writes Itself!

Man with bookDid you ever sit down at the computer, or with a pen and paper with no idea what you were going to write and then the piece just writes itself? I have! I used to think this was a cliché but it's not! It does really happen.

The first time it happened to me was just after finishing the a-z blogging challenge. Because I started the challenge late, I finished with about 10 days of May left to go. I had June's theme all planned and knew roughly what would be happening when, but I suddenly realised I had no idea what I was going to do to bridge the gap.
I opened up a "new post" page and sat staring at it for a long time, and watching the clock tick down to the time the post I hadn't even started yet was due to go live! I remembered reading somewhere that when this happens just write something. Anything. So I did.
I wrote the sentence that kept going round in my mind with the intention of deleting it again straight away. The sentence was "Why am I sitting here at midnight with a new post due to go live and no post written?"
Instead of deleting it, I then wrote the answers to the question and before I knew it, words were flowing and May's Mini Theme was born! I was going to remove the first part, but in the end I left it in, because I thought it added a little something. If you want to read the post I'm talking about, it's here: http://myrandommusings.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/mays-mini-theme.html

The second time was really weird. I had written a short story (which you can read here: http://myrandommusings.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/done-deal-part-one-beginning.html) and it had been suggested to me that I should do a follow up to it.
I went to work the next day, and I was just going about my day, minding my own business, and not thinking about the story in any way when it hit me! Suddenly I had words and ideas tumbling through my head in a rush! I found myself not pacing up and down (I work behind a bar) but more marching up and down - as the idea got faster, so did I. I'm sure some of the people in the bar that day thought I'd gone crazy. Maybe I had, but it felt good!
I felt like I HAD to get these thoughts written down NOW. This story was writing itself - inside my head! And it was scary, and weird, and utterly brilliant all at the same time!
I grabbed some paper and a pen and furiously scribbled down the key points, and before I knew it, I had a four part series!
I have never felt that way before and it was kind of scary, but in a good way. I hope to feel that way again!

That incident also sparked the inspiration for this post, although not in the same way. I am often struck by ideas for post or stories, and they float around gently, I write them down and that's it, and that was the feeling for this post. But the feeling for that story was urgent and I couldn't think straight until it was down on paper.

Have you ever felt that way about writing?

Follow me on Twitter @randommusings29 and feel free to comment :) 


My Random Musings
The Dad Network
The Blog Centre Showcase Tuesday
Mama-andmore
Super Busy Mum
Let's Talk Mommy
Let's Talk Mommy
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Mami 2 Five

24 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I could experience that with writing! I used to be able to write but lately I'm just so stuck on what to write about. I don't know whether I want to do fiction or memoir; I'm toying with both but nothing is really getting my engine revved up. Love that you were writing at the bar. Were you writing on napkins or bar coasters?? I used to own a bar and I always came home with napkins or coasters in my purse with notes and numbers. Thanks for sparking that memory. :)
    And thanks for stopping by my blog. I pulled off the highway for awhile on the Road Trip...I need to get back in the drivers seat...
    I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coasters lol, we must go through 100s with me using them as post it notes :) I also find if I'm stuck listing key points can help, might be worth a try.
      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
    2. I can sympathize with writers but I don't really understand because I am not a writer. I just muttle my way through my blog. lol

      Delete
    3. Lol somedays I feel like that's what we all do! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
    4. I understand this and have it happen to me. It's fun, scary, intriguing, and fantastic all at once. It's creativity at its best!!

      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
    5. I've never experienced a feeling like it before. I just hope it comes again!

      Delete
  2. I've had that happen to me recently. Got a story idea and it gripped me so hard that I had the first draft done in a week. It was only around 30K, mind you, but still, I had never written so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30K in a week is fantastic. It's such a great feeling :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I've experienced both. Sitting down wanting to do an entry and feeling like my fingers just wrote it for me. And I've had an idea for a entry form when I was at work or driving and felt like it was burning a hole in me until I could get home, sit down and write it. When I have one like that, I have found that if life prevents me from being able to write it in a day or two at the most, it is almost always lost. Truth be told, the sort of writing I do takes very little conscious thought. The most work I ever do creating an entry is either finding and making links or searching for the right picture or graphic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the feeling, must be gutting though if you can't get it down quick enough and it passes. For my blog, I'm the same, because I write from the heart rather factual writing so I don't have to do a whole lot of research, but fiction I usually spend a bit of time planning and things.

      Delete
  4. I completely understand this! But with me, it's with crafting. I know I want to make a craft with my daughter, but I have no idea what to make. I rifle through my cabinets and craft box, and and idea randomly pops into my head and we just fly by the seat of our pants. My daughter and I have made our very best crafts this way! #anythinggoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm useless with anything crafty! I can imagine though that the best pieces are the spontaneous ones :)

      Delete
  5. I really wish that I felt like that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get it back! Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  6. It has happened sometimes. I have a post in the drafts thats been there for like ten days and Ive been pumping out posts that take me by surprise everyday that I´ve been doing NaBloPoMo. Some posts are easier than other but I enjoy the challenge! #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to have a drafted post around to take the pressure off. I always find ideas flow easier when that is the case. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. It's happened to me too, and with a little editing afterwards these usually turn out to be my most personal and honest posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - when you don't have to stop and think, you are truly writing from the heart :)

      Delete
  8. I have only recently (late 2014) started writing, but it is truly like a tap has been on and I cannot turn it off. I want to write all the time and like you I have another job that gets in the way. But I love the buzz I get when it just flows out of my fingers! Thanks for sharing this with us. Mel xx #anythinggoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great feeling isn't it :) So annoying when work gets in the way though lol!

      Delete
  9. I'm not a writer but it has happened to me a sometimes that you are just inspired and the words come naturally. It doesn't happen that often but when it happens I tried to stay in tune so it last longer ;-) Thanks for hosting, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only happened to me to that extent once, and I loved it. I totally agree about staying in the zone, it would be awful if the feeling went away before you had finished the piece! You're welcome, thanks for linking up :)

      Delete
  10. I feel this way a lot of times about writing. Someone will say something out of the blue I will think of a whole post from it or see something on tv and want to write about it instantly. I love being inspired by all sorts of things around me. Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant feeling isn't it! Thank you and thanks for hosting :)

      Delete